Saturday, June 09, 2007

Learn to Crochet Lesson #3

This week I'm working on Crafty Daisies' third crochet tutorial. I must confess, I've been hiking up a steep learning curve with these lessons. So far I've been able to muddle my way through every pattern and have finished six blocks. This week's lesson includes patterns for six new blocks, so I have a lot of homework to catch up on!

What have I learned so far?

  1. I really like crochet. (Maybe even more than knitting. Gasp.) I find crochet less intimidating, perhaps because I only have one stitch to worry about on my hook instead of dozens. If I miss a stitch it's easy to fix my mistake.

  2. It's really important to use the correct weight of wool. In my inexperience, I crocheted my first five squares with the wrong type of wool. I couldn't figure out why all my squares were turning out too small. I thought my tension was way off. I finally figured out my problem, and the sixth square turned out great.

  3. Go slowly and read the instructions thoroughly. (It's the old "measure twice and cut once" rule.)

  4. It doesn't have to be perfect --- that's what learning is all about. I love crafting because human imperfection, the hand of the maker, is an integral element of the creative process. Most of my crochet squares are a wee bit wonky, but that's okay. I've only been learning for a couple of weeks!
I have a pile of "homework" to catch up on tonight. Here's to an evening of happy hooking ;-).


1 comment:

Courtney Wain said...

Congrats on becoming a happy hooker! Crochet it awesome. And fast. And awesome.