Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Digital Nasal Evacuation

Special thanks to the intrepid travelers, my sister Lori and her husband Matt, for the following article.

.............................

Article from The Eye Magazine (A serious local magazine):

"Driving in Uganda can definitely be described as a hazardous sport and a source of stress for many visitors. This can be made a little easier for The Eye readers by being aware of the local laws.

As in many countries, Uganda has attempted to reduce road deaths by passing laws that make the wearing of seat belts compulsory and banning the use of mobile phones while driving. Following the success of these two laws, some pressure groups are considering putting a motion before parliament making it illegal to pick your nose while driving.

The motion is due to be debated immediately after Easter. A representative from Mpicki district who spoke to The Eye said, "Definitely this law needs to be passed. The Movement Government is determined to reduce road deaths from all causes and any activity that interferes with concentration is a cause of accidents. We are a caring government and also courageous. We will face this problem head on".

A senior official in the ministry of health, Mr. Francis Onasalwa said, "Digital nasal evacuation, to give it its proper medical term, is an important part of respiratory hygiene. However it can be dangerous while driving, especially if trying to change gear at the same time. If the urge is overwhelming we would advise drivers to pull over or get a passenger to help".

The Eye interviewed some well known Kampala drivers for their opinions. A famous musician Miss Julia "fingers" Downing said, "I can play keyboard and turn the pages at the same time, so why shouldn't I drive and pick my nose at the same time?" Dr. Pick Stockley also was unhappy with the new legislation: "I am too busy all day to pick my own nose, and it is hard to find good staff these days and my wife won't let me pick my nose when I get home. That 40 minutes in the car at the Jinja road roundabout every evening is one of the few pleasures left at my age, and now even that is going to have to go. I am disgusted". "

Matt and I had a real good laugh when we read this one.

No comments: