Saturday, September 01, 2007

Highland Games

Our family had great fun at the Calgary Highland Games this morning. The kids had a blast learning about their Scottish heritage. The day started out cold and rainy, but the sun made a brilliant appearance just after lunch. (And our family has the sunburns to prove it.) Highlights of the day included the sheep dog trials, the mock medieval sword play, the pipe bands and the highland dancers.

As we drove to the Games, my eldest son asked if our family was Scottish. (My husband is a full-blooded Scot. My own ancestry is mixed, and I don't have a drop of Scottish blood in my body.)

"Well, Buddy," I said to my son, "You are not all Scottish, but you are half Scottish."

"Which half, Mommy?"

I smiled to myself. "Which do you think is your Scottish half?"

My son thought for a moment and then replied, "I think my top half is the Scottish half ... and my bottom half is the cute half!"

The military pipe band marches in the opening ceremonies.


Daddy and his kiddies watch pipers practicing.

1 comment:

Courtney Wain said...

I have a hilarious story about the Highland games...:-)