Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Recommended Reading:

Safely Home
by Randy Alcorn


Some books change your perspective on life. They challenge your faith and strengthen your love for God. My friend recommended Safely Home to me with the following disclaimer: read this book, but know that you will never see life in the same way again. My friend's statement was true. Safely Home has altered my view of Christianity, the persecuted church, and my eternal destination.

Though this book is a work of fiction, it is based on Biblical and cultural research. Most of the story takes place in China and follows the journeys of two men. Ben Fielding is an American businessman, obsessed with his pursuit of the almighty dollar, seemingly successful in every area of life. Li Quan is a poor, working class, Chinese citizen. His family belongs to a persecuted Chinese house church. Ben and Quan met as university students and became close friends through their college years. Most of Safely Home occurs in China, where Ben stays with Li Quan's family in a small rural village.

Randy Alcorn's novel is unique because it describes heaven, and God's perspective of His persecuted church, in startling detail. I am currently reading Alcorn's non-fiction work, Heaven. It is an extensive study of our eternal home based on solid Biblical research. I believe Heaven is a good companion read to Safely Home, and heartily recommend both books. Truly, these books have changed my perspective of eternity. I am no longer afraid of death, and am, in fact, looking forward to the day I will walk with Jesus through the streets of my eternal home.

The subject matter of Safely Home is, at times, difficult to wade through. Alcorn does not shy away from controversial topics. Some scenes vividly describe persecution, torture, slavery, and even death. I believe Christians in North America often live in a bubble of isolation. We are not exposed to great suffering or persecution for our faith. However, the persecuted church is real, and martyrdom is a daily reality for Christians in many parts of the world.

Therefore, I highly recommend Safely Home with the following disclaimer: read this book, but know you will never see life in the same way again.

1 comment:

Sheila said...

I read that a few years ago and it was a terrific book. If you want more info on the persecuted church this is a good site.

http://www.persecutedchurch.org/

The International Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church is coming up in November.