Sunday, November 18, 2007

Menu Plan Monday
November 19, 2007

I am feeling tired an uninspired this evening. No time better than the present to plan my weekly menu, I guess!

Here's my proposed menu for the upcoming week. I plan to make double batches of the taco meat, soup and chicken dish in order to fill my freezer.

Monday: No cooking! (Supper at my parents')
Tuesday: Soft-shell tacos, brown beans
Wednesday: Hamburger soup, homemade bread
Thursday: Leftovers
Friday: Indonesian chicken in peanut sauce, brown rice, cabbage salad
Saturday: Supper with friends.
Sunday: No cooking! (Supper at Ben's parents')

I am also looking forward to using my new baking pans. (Thank you, Mom.) I plan to make banana bread in my mini loaf pan. I may also try baking some cute mini muffins as well. In a few weeks it will be my turn to bring a snack for my son's class at school. I think mini muffins could be just perfect, so I will have to experiment with a few new recipes!

Indonesian Chicken in Peanut Sauce (from Canadian Living Magazine)

8 skinless chicken thighs
5 carrots, thickly sliced
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 C. water
3/4 C. smooth peanut butter
1/4 C. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. hot pepper flakes (I omit this)
1 C. frozen peas
1 tsp. white wine vinegar
2 green onions, sliced
1/2 C. chopped unsalted peanuts

Step 1: Arrange chicken in dutch oven; top with carrots, onions and garlic.

Step 2: Whisk together water, peanut butter, soy sauce, ginger and hot pepper flakes; add to pan.

Step 3: Cover and cook in 350F oven for 1 1/2 hours or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced.

Step 4: Stir in peas and vinegar; let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Serve garnished with green onions and peanuts.

Slow Cooker: Use 16-24 cup (4-6 L) slow cooker; cook all but peas and vinegar on LOW for 4 to 6 hours, or cook on HIGH for 2 hours. Add peas and vinegar; cook on LOW for 10 minutes. Garnish as directed. (I prefer using the slow cooker for this recipe.)

...........................

If you would like to browse more great meal plans, please visit the Menu Plan Monday link at Org Junkie.

No comments: