Saturday, December 15, 2007

Recommended Reading:

Heaven
by Randy Alcorn




Heaven is an incredible book. I heartily recommend reading it. Other than the Bible itself, I believe this book has affected my Christian walk more than any other. It has strengthened my faith and fostered an intense hunger for my eternal home.

Randy Alcorn has based his book on sound Biblical research. He prefaces Heaven with an incredibly humble introduction. Alcorn promises to change future editions of the book if readers find any points that do not line up with Scripture. Heaven is solid and well-positioned, but also creative and fascinating to read.

This book is approximately 500 pages long and quite honestly, is a slow read. It took nine weeks for me to wade through Heaven. (I did not have time to finish the extensive appendices.) Heaven is a dense and thought-provoking book. I found I could only absorb a chapter or two at a time. I only wanted to read a chapter or two at a time. I felt the need to savour every idea and image. Alcorn paints a truly inspiring vision of our future home!

Heaven answers many common questions such as: Is heaven a physical place? Will we have bodies in heaven? Will we continue relationships with the people we love in this life? Where will we live in heaven? How will we spend our time? Will we have jobs and tasks? Will there be animals in heaven?

Without a doubt, this book is required reading for Christians. If only every follower of Christ shared a fresh, vibrant vision for eternity. Our Church would be a radically different body! I highly recommend Randy Alcorn's Heaven.


Please visit the Mr. Linky hosted by Callapidder Days to read other book reviews written by Fall Into Reading 2007 participants.


No comments: