Saturday, March 22, 2008

An Easter Blessing


I was desperate for a nap. Our two youngest children were asleep in their rooms and our five-year-old coloured quietly at the kitchen table.

"Honey," I mumbled, "Mommy is going to lie down on the couch for a few minutes."

"Okay," he replied, "I'm going to do my work!"

I was unconscious within seconds. An hour later I woke to discover my feet covered with a multitude of coloured papers. Groggy and half-asleep, I hauled myself off the couch.

"Hi Mommy!" exclaimed my son, "Come see what I did!"

Various pictures adorned the house. Jesus' cross was glued to the front door. A castle, complete with turrets and a moat, sat on the windowsill. God proudly surveyed the scene from the door of my china cabinet.

"You know why that picture is of God?" asked our son.

I studied the small drawing of a vaguely human form. "Um, no Buddy. Why is that a picture of God?"

"Because God is higher than the sun. And look! There's a picture of the sun!"

Sure enough, a cheery, yellow sun shone just below the drawing of God.

Sweetest of all were the many drawings of Jesus on the cross. Pages and pages of them. Our son had spent the better part of an hour contemplating God, Jesus and the Easter season. He'd quietly worked out his understanding of the story through paper and ink.

With simple, child-like faith.

***

At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure.
(Luke 10:21)

1 comment:

Sheila said...

What a treasure! That is the *perfect* verse to go with it!

Happy Easter!