Tuesday, March 04, 2008

O Canada

This afternoon our five-year-old found a lucky penny in a parking lot. He twirled the coin between his fingers and carefully examined its inscription.

"Ca-na-da," he carefully spelled out. "Canada! That's where we live!"

"Yup. Sure is, Buddy."

Our son climbed into the van and I buckled him into his seat. As I drove through traffic, he continued to examine his coin.

"You know, Mommy," he called from the back seat, "I know why they call it Canada."

"Oh really?" I asked, "Why is that?"

"Because nada means nothing, right Mommy?" he inquired.

"Well, yes. That's true," I agreed.

"But we live in Can-nada. In Can-nada we don't have nothing. We have everything!"

His five-year-old logic astounded me.

"You're absolutely right," I said, "We are very blessed to live in wonderful country like Can-nada."

No comments: