Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Sweet

The children and I drove in the van. I kept my eyes on the road.  The kids talked.  I listened.  The conversation ranged, as it often does, in random and swirling directions.

"I can't wait until my birthday party!" piped up our four-year-old.  His birthday is roughly nine months away.  Birthday parties are pretty well a daily topic of conversation for him.

"I want to have a rainbow cake!" he exclaimed.

"That's cool," I replied absentmindedly.

"Yeah, well I want to have a Jedi on my cake," interjected our six-year-old.  (We celebrated his birthday a mere three weeks ago.  Always good to plan ahead, I suppose.)

"Maybe I will have Nemo on my cake," pondered the four-year-old.

"Or Spiderman is really cool," suggested the six-year-old.

"I know what I want on my cake," I heard our two-year-old interject from the back of the van.  She paused and stated her choice:

"I want Daddy on my cake."

"Daddy???  You can't have Daddy on your cake," argued her older brother.

"Yes I can," our daughter said firmly, "cause Daddy's really cool!"

1 comment: