Sunday, June 11, 2006

Stretching a Dollar

A few months ago I found a publication at the library called The Tightwad Gazette. I discovered that The Gazette is a newsletter full of articles about frugal living. I like to save money when I can and was intrigued.

To tell the truth, The Tightwad Gazette was too extreme for my tastes. It offered some interesting ideas, but I thought many were impractical for the average family. Did you know that some people use cloth toilet paper?! I'm afraid I am not that frugal.

I am not a guru of thrift. However, I would like to share a few tips for saving money at Superstore. Here are some of my best:

- I switched from buying name-brand diapers to the Teddy's Choice Supreme brand. Name-brand diapers cost $43.98 for a box of 112, and Teddy's Choice are $25.98 for the same box.

- Our family drinks a lot of orange juice. I like the Minute Maid Calcium Enriched brand. I used to buy it in the carton at $2.77 for 2L. Now I buy the frozen concentrate for $0.94.

- I use Cetaphil face wash on my skin. A bottle of the name-brand face wash costs $12.98. Superstore now sells a generic brand of the same product for only $6.98. The generic face lotion also only costs $6.98.

- Near the produce section in Superstore they often set up a rack of day-old bread and baking. I often find loaves of expensive multigrain or specialty bread on this rack. I stock up on the bread, at less than half its normal price, and store it in my freezer at home.

- Every summer around the first week of July Superstore clears out its summer clothing for at least 50% off. I stock up on basics like shorts and t-shirts. I've found t-shirts for the boys for less than $2, and I bought a decent pair of shoes for myself for $3. Two years ago I paid $14 for a snowsuit for my son. He's worn the parka for two winters, and it should last him this year too.

God has blessed our family financially, and I feel it is my duty to be a good steward of the resources He's given us. I love to save a dollar or two. And when I can have fun shopping too, all the better!

No comments: