Saturday, July 29, 2006

An Easy / Hard Decision

For the past year I have been taking lessons toward completing my ARCT diploma in piano. I had intended to continue the lessons in September. I found a new piano teacher a few months ago and made arrangements for the fall.

However, I am discovering that life with three little children is full, to say the least. I can't imagine where I will find the time to squeeze an hour or more of piano practice into every day. At the moment it is all I can do to keep up with the minimum requirements for running our household.

Therefore, I have come to a disappointing, but necessary, decision. I must put my family first. Last week I phoned my piano teacher to discuss my overly ambitious plans for the fall. She understood my position completely, thank goodness. She also made an interesting proposal.

My teacher suggested that I work on completing one theory requirement for the ARCT diploma. It is called Counterpoint. The class would require one 45 minute lesson per week, and about two hours of homework. I would also write an exam next May.

I like the idea of taking Counterpoint in the fall. I would still be making (slow) progress toward my goal of completing the ARCT diploma. I think I can find 2 3/4 hours per week to squeeze out of my schedule. I also like my new teacher. (She actually taught me theory classes about ten years ago, and we already know one and another.) I would hate to lose contact with her again.

So, for now I will forgo hours of piano practice. I will miss my time at the piano. Hopefully, I will find a moment or two to play once in a while. At least I will keep my fingers in music by taking Counterpoint classes in September.

No comments: