Friday, July 28, 2006

Future Book Worms

My three-year-old son loves books. He cannot read yet, but I suspect that once he learns we may never see him again. If he's anything like his mom he'll spend hours escaping into imaginary worlds through the pages of books.

Our family has chosen not to own a television. Instead, Ben and I hope our children grow up to be readers. We try to make reading stories out loud a part of our daily routine.

This week my husband began reading The Chronicles of Narnia to the boys while I wash the dishes after supper. I had thought that the Narnia books would be beyond the comprehension of our toddler and preschooler, but my kids have surprised me. The boys will sit still for an amazingly long period of time to listen to the story. After only a few days we have already read through ten chapters of The Magician's Nephew!

I hope this trend continues. I enjoy listening to the stories too! At least fifteen years have passed since I read the Narnia books myself. I remember very little, so the stories are new to me as well. C.S. Lewis' humour and imagination are highly entertaining, and the foundation of his books is wholesome.

Books are an integral part of our family culture. Ben and I hope to pass on our love of reading to all our children.

No comments: