Monday, October 02, 2006


Point / Counterpoint

I have been taking counterpoint classes in music for a month now. These classes are a requirement for my ARCT diploma in piano. My goal is to take my Grade 4 Counterpoint exam in May (if I can be ready in time).

The thing is, I'm learning that I have a lot to learn. It has been ten years since I took my last music theory class. Though I have a solid foundational knowledge of theory, I have forgotten the more advanced principals of music harmony. This is a problem! I understand intuitively how to complete my counterpoint exercises (I know what sounds and looks right) but I don't comprehend why I should do things a certain way. I need to review the basics.

My teacher is a real mover --- she likes to press forward and cover a ton of material each class. I need to slow her down! I understand what she is teaching, but she's going too fast! This week I decided not to do the exercises she assigned to me. Instead, I am reviewing music harmony. It makes no sense for me to learn new material if I don't remember the foundational theory on which it is based.

So for the rest of tonight I will be slogging through my harmony workbook. Hopefully, my rusty brain will remember some of this stuff!

No comments: