Saturday, June 30, 2007

Three Tenuously Related Thoughts

Last night I cooked some beets for supper. I usually boil beets in a large pot of water. Since I was strapped for time yesterday, I tried cooking them in the microwave instead.

Perhaps I should have stuck with the tried and true...

The beets boiled over and spewed blood-red juice everywhere. My microwave was the scene of great carnage, mayhem and mass destruction. Too bad I couldn't find any yellow police tape for my kitchen.

************

This morning I cooked pancakes for breakfast. Pancakes are a favourite with my boys. My eldest son gobbled down seven pancakes, an apricot and a peach. (He's four. He also has two hollow legs, apparently.)

To put that in perspective, my husband only managed to eat five pancakes.

************

Today Ben's brother and sister-in-law leave for a tropical vacation. Our four-year-old son was very interested in the details of their trip.

"Will Uncle Patrick and Auntie Sarah fly on an airplane?" he asked.

"Yes. They're going far away."

"What the name of the place they're going to?"

"It's called the Dominican Republic."

Our preschooler thought for a moment and then asked:

"Does that republic have a lot of storm troopers?"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have recently caught up with all of your posts due to my 7 month Internet hiatus and it just astounds me at how intelligent your children are! I don't know any children who ask the kinds of questions that yours ask. I'm sure that you get such compliments all of the time but I just felt the need (or want!) to express mine as well.

Lindsay Inkster said...

Thank you so much :-).