Sunday, August 12, 2007

Thoughts on Martha

A few weeks ago my friend bestowed several back issues of Martha Stewart Living upon me. The magazines followed us on our trip to Saskatchewan and I spent hours leisurely poring over the pages. To be honest, I had never paid much attention to Martha-mania up to that point (other than owning a set of cornflower blue "Martha Stewart Everyday" bath towels). I was a Martha newbie.

Six or seven magazines later, I've come to an epiphany. Martha is a machine. She's an empire. Martha, the person, I suspect is very different from Martha, the icon. Her magazines are polished and beautiful. Her products are practical and lovely. She's on TV, radio, the internet, in books, in stores. Her line of craft supplies are amazing. Her advice is wise and her clothes are perfect.

Martha is not real.

I think it's important for Martha devotees to remember that "Martha" is an image, an ideal. No one person can ever accomplish all that she appears to. No one person can possess such a broad knowledge base. Martha Stewart employs a vast staff to carry out her vision.

I believe Martha has struck an interesting and delicate balance. She presents her image as both everyday and unattainable. Her magazine includes tips for cleaning your bathroom alongside articles about collecting costly antiques. She markets herself to both the elite and the unwashed masses. And she does it with style.

The plain truth is this: the world of Martha Stewart must be navigated cautiously, but I believe it's worth the journey. Her products and publications are tasteful and well-designed. Her aesthetic is beautiful and appealing. Martha knows her market, and she tailors her image flawlessly.

However, I have resolved not to get sucked into a "Martha-esque" worldview. I will not allow my home to become my idol. I enjoy beauty and organization. I devote thought and time to home decorating and home management every single day. At the same time, God and the people He has placed in my life must take priority. My family is more important than any decorating scheme.

But I'll continue to happily accept any old Martha Stewart magazines that come my way :-).


1 comment:

AlisonVeritas said...

Here here! But isn't this such a common problem with our culture(at least for women)...We are pushed to be an extreme ideal of Martha Stewart/career woman/celebrity/bride of Christ all at once. No wonder we are driven and exhausted. I agree, Martha has great recipes and great ideas, but to be her, without the zillion staffers who do her bidding, is impossible. (and trust me, in the latest issue where it shows her sitting at her sewing machine...YA RIGHT!)I don't want to be Martha, I just want to be me(happily. working on that part).