Monday, May 05, 2008

Crafty Goodness:

Itty-Bitty Hats
by Susan B. Anderson


I like to joke about the fact I enjoy reading books about knitting more that I like the act of knitting itself. I think this is because I feel somewhat intimidated by the craft. Some knitting patterns are virtually indecipherable, and the choices of yarns and tools and projects are practically endless. It's all rather daunting.

I love Itty-Bitty Hats because it is accessible for newbie knitters. I learned a great deal from this book. Susan Anderson begins at the beginning and clearly explains knitting terms and techniques. As well, her baby hat patterns are actually understandable (and the projects are terribly cute)! Baby hats make great projects for newbies because they are easy to finish. A simple hat might require a mere hour or two of effort.

Anderson's book motivated me to take a leap of faith. I finally learned to knit continental style, thanks to Susan's clear illustrated instructions. (I originally learned to knit in the less-efficient english style.) I'm slow as a tortoise at this point, but am clinging to the hope that my change in technique will pay off in the long run.

I highly recommend Itty-Bitty Hats for newbie and wannabe knitters alike.



No comments: