Monday, September 08, 2008

The Not-So Virtuoso

So I've been practicing piano again, getting ready for my next round of exams at Christmas. Let's just say ... it's been a loooooong time since I've seriously sat at the piano. (We're talking years). The fingers, they are slow. I'm totally out of shape.

So I pulled out Hanon's trusty piano exercises for "the virtuoso pianist". If those babies can't whip my fingers into shape, I don't know what will. (Groan.)

While our youngest kids nap in the afternoon, our five-year-old takes a "quiet time" on our bed. He's a creature of habit and likes his own space, so this actually works very well. I've been playing piano while all the kids rest. This afternoon our son commented on my new practice regime.

"Hey Mommy! I really liked your piano playing!"

"Thanks, Buddy."

"You know what part I liked the best?"

"No. What?"

"The really fast part, right at the beginning! All the notes in a row!"

Our son wasn't interested in the fun stuff --- the children's songs I've been learning for my exam. Nope. He was into the heavy stuff. He liked the Hanon, all those scales and finger exercises.

What a crazy, crazy kid.

No comments: