Monday, January 05, 2009

Home Sweet Home

I am focused on returning to a regular homemaking routine this week. Here's a timely little meme from Wendy on that very topic!

Aprons --- Y/N?  If Y, what does your favourite look like?

I do enjoy a good apron.  (I always seem to end up with stains on my shirt if I cook without one.)  I inherited my favourite apron from my grandma.  It's probably older than I am, is huge, and sports a crazy-colourful butterfly pattern. 

Baking --- What is your favourite thing to bake?

Cookies.  

Clothesline --- Y/N?

No, but I wouldn't be opposed to using one.

Donuts --- Have you ever made them?

No, I've never made them before.  My great-grandma made the absolute best donuts.

Everyday --- Name one homemaking thing you do every day.

Tidy the kitchen and living area.

Freezer --- Do you have a separate deep freeze?

Yes.  It was a gift from my in-laws.

Garbage disposal --- Y/N?

No.

Handbook --- What is your favourite homemaking resource?

I love this book and use it often.  Lately I've been experimenting with the recipes for homemade cleaners.

Ironing --- Love it or hate it?

I try to love it but my ironing pile tends to take on a life of it's own.  Hate it.

Junk drawer --- Y/N?  Where is it?

No.  We do have a couple catch-all baskets on top of the fridge, though.

Kitchen --- Colour and decorating scheme?

Our kitchen is a warm terra-cotta colour with golden maple cupboards. We have big, sunny windows looking out onto some soccer fields.  The decorating scheme is homey, comfortable and a bit country.

Love --- What is your favourite part of homemaking?

I love to bring peaceful order to our home.  Clutter is my enemy!  I hope our home is a welcoming place for family and friends.

Mop --- Y/N?

Yes.  I use a Bee Mop.

Nylons --- Do you wash them by hand or in the machine?

I don't wash my nylons.  They never last long enough to need washing! I wash thick tights in the machine.

Oven --- Do you use the window to check on things, or do you open the door?

I generally look through the window.  I'm always hesitant to open the oven door with little ones underfoot!  

Pizza --- What do you put on yours?

Whatever is available in the fridge!  I like chicken, cheese and veggies.

Quiet --- What do you do during the day when you get a quiet moment?

Read.

Recipe card box --- Y/N?

No, but I do have a recipe binder.

Style of house --- What is your style?

I guess I'd describe my decorating style as contemporary country.  I like earthy colours, quilts and baskets, real wood and leather, crafty objects with character and history.  I am not into frills, lace or too much gingham.

Table cloth and napkins --- Y/N?

No table cloth.  We use paper napkins, sadly.  I like the idea of using cloth napkins.

Under the sink --- Organized or toxic wasteland?

Organized.

Vacuum --- How many times per week?

Once.

Wash --- How many loads per week?

About 10.  I do the wash every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

Xs --- Do you make a daily list and check it off as you do things?

I only make a list of necessary things I cannot afford to forget.  I used to make a list for everything but ended up feeling guilty and overwhelmed. For my own sanity, I gave it up.

Yard --- Y/N?  Who does what?

We have a nice-sized yard.  Ben mows the lawn (if our neighbour doesn't get to it first).  I like to shovel.  This year we plan to plant a small garden, so that will probably be my responsibility.

Zzzzs --- What is the last homemaking task you do for the day before you go to bed?

Set out the breakfast dishes for the next day.

1 comment:

The Nilsen's Journey said...

That was fun to read Linds! I will check out that homemaking book!! I'm gonna venture out today & take G on the sled. Once I'm settled into my new work routine, I'd love to get together with ya!! Have a great day!