Tuesday, August 21, 2007

In the Pipe

I tend to be a very focused type of individual; I generally stick with a task until I have it completed. When it comes to crafting, however, my work ethic tends to be a bit more scattered. I have many little projects on the go (and half-finished). I like to have lots of different projects to choose from, and I especially enjoy things that are easy to pick up for a few minutes when the kids are napping.

I finished redecorating our master bedroom a couple weeks ago. One of the features I love about our new room is my "crafting corner". We hauled my childhood desk up from the basement and I bought a cute wooden chair from the thrift store. My sewing machine is all set up on the desk, ready to use. I keep my iron and ironing board in the bedroom closet. I can be off and sewing in a few short minutes, whenever the mood (and opportunity) strikes.

Here's a quick rundown of the projects I'm working on. Most of them are half-finished (and, to be perfectly honest, some are only started in my imagination!).

  • Refinish my crafting chair --- I did re-upholster the seat. Now I need to strip and sand the old stain. (I do kind of enjoy the chair's current worn, ragged look, though.)
  • Draw some Bob the Builder posters for the boys' room --- I've been meaning to do this for, oh, probably a year. I plan to draw large posters of Bob and Wendy, and either laminate or dry mount them. The boys' walls are just crying out for some colourful pictures!
  • Knit a baby sweater for my Sweet Pea --- A couple months ago I sent away for a super-simple knitted baby sweater pattern. The pattern goes up to size six, so theoretically I could knit a matching sweater for each of the children. I'd love to do this in time for the kids for Christmas.
  • Sew a wall hanging / quilt for our dining area --- Right now we have a big, blank, green wall behind our kitchen table. I fell in love with this little quilt, and would like to try making something similar. Our family's quilt will have three panels instead of one, and I think I'll ask the kids to draw on the cloth with fabric markers instead of using embroidery.
  • Sew a new shirt with this pattern --- I have an beautiful (subtle) Hawaiian print wrap-around skirt collecting dust in my closet. I love the fabric, but am not crazy about the style of skirt. I figure the skirt will provide just enough fabric to sew another one of these cute shirts.
  • Refashion a linen skirt --- I also have a great linen wrap-around skirt (also collecting dust in my closet). I bought it a couple years ago at the thrift store with the tags still on it. The skirt is too long and full for my taste. I plan to hem it to the knee and embroider something cool on the front panel. The remaining fabric will be perfect for the dining room quilt!
  • Embroider a dragonfly --- I've been working on a dainty embroidered dragonfly since last Christmas. I plan to hang it in our bathroom. The embroidery kit came with glass and hanging instructions, but I'm thinking of mounting the swatch in a shadowbox with pins (like a scientific specimen on display). I'd love to make one or two other embroidery "specimens" to hang as a grouping.
  • Learn to take pictures --- I admire blogs like this one, and am inspired by lovely photographs. I have been making an effort to take better photographs for my blog (working on lighting, framing) but there is only so far I can go with our feeble camera. Ben and I will be in the market for a quality digital camera soon. Any suggestions?
  • Macrame an i-pod cozy --- I have this project half-finished and sitting in a jumble at the bottom of my knitting bag. It looks so cool.
  • Knit an afghan --- I've been working on this project for nearly a year. So far I have completed about 4 out of 30 afghan squares. The yarn matches our newly decorated bedroom perfectly (and the afghan will look great draped over my thrifted craft chair...someday).
  • Make block party invitations --- This is a project I will complete. Maybe even today! I bought some cute paper on sale at Michaels and I plan to pillage my vintage button stash. I figure our neighbours will be more likely to come to the party if they receive a cute invitation.
  • Paint a "you are special" plate --- My friend and I have been trying (for ages) to go on a date to the pottery painting studio. Someday we'll finally coordinate our schedules, and when we do, I would like to paint a colourful plate. The plate will become our family's "special day" plate.
  • Build a business --- This is a big, pie-in-the-sky one. A few weeks ago I bought a domain name (and it shall remain secret until I decide if this is going anywhere!). Someday I'd like to open an online shoppe selling handmade toys.
  • Update my blog template --- The Ink Spot desperately needs a new look. She's a bit drab and droopy these days! I could fool around with the design myself (it sure pays to have a husband in the web development business) but I have my eye on a new design from Everyday Mommy. Her custom headers and masts are cute and very reasonable. (Christmas is coming...)
I've also dog-eared dozens of pages from Martha Stewart Living. That magazine is dangerous, dangerous, I tell you! I love nearly all the craft ideas from Martha Stewart, especially in the kids section. I could spend a lifetime creating crafts inspired by Martha.

Phew! That list is longer than I expected it to be. My fingers will be busy this fall. The beautiful thing about crafting, though, is that it's a low-pressure hobby. Nothing has to be finished anytime soon. Half the fun is knowing I have a box full of interesting projects to choose from.


1 comment:

Maggie R said...

Enjoy the journey, that is the best part!